Thursday, December 2, 2010

We WIll Rock YOU?



I clearly remember seeing this video when it first aired a couple of years back. I was a young gay teen who was in LOVE with the three featured artists on this commercial so INSTANTLY I was drawn to it and loved every second of it. As a young teen who loved these pop stars, I immediately thought that this commercial was GENUIS in the sense that PEPSI gathered 3 of thee biggest stars in the industry, made an endorsement deal to sell a product. What smart people do PEPSI have on their team.

Now looking at it from a Media Literate point of view, I beg to differ. I still LOVE all three of these artists, and yes I will refer to them as artists, not CELEBRITIES, because I do appreciate them for their art and their work, but I must say that these three women were all used in backlash. These women take the roles of strong, independent gladiators preparing to go out and fight against one another. However, the outfits that they wear are ALL turned into sexy, almost lingerie looking Armour. Yes, they play the role as strong gladiators, yet they are still shifted to fit the stereotype that the media imposes on women. SEXY AND FUCKABLE. To be quite frank, the video only showcases the PEPSI bottles in only a couple of seconds, versus the vast amount of time that Beyonce, Pink and Britney Spears are shown. The question then becomes...WHAT ARE THESE ADVERTISERS REALLY TRYING TO SELL?

By: ANTONIO

No comments:

Post a Comment